When starting a water-cooled compressor after winter shutdown, the following procedure is suggested:
1. Install a pressure gauge on the condenser, and check for pressure. If there is no pressure in the condenser, determine how the charge was lost and repair the leak before opening any valves.
2. Permit the refrigerant to flow through the system. To do this, open the liquid-line valves.
3. Check the entire system for refrigerant leaks, using a halide leak detector.
4. If the system is gas tight, connect the water lines, open the hand valve in the water lines, and open the discharge and suction valves.
5. Install the belts and check for correct tension after a short period of operation.
6. Check the motor for oiling. If old oil is heavy or dirty, replace with new oil of the proper viscosity.