The twin refrigeration system is a new refrigeration technology that solves the problems of conventional vapor compression refrigerators. A no-frost cooling system is the latest craze, but conventional no-frost features reduce energy efficiency and humidity. To overcome this problem, a new refrigeration system, named the Twin Refrigeration System (see Figure 3.44a) has been developed by Samsung. Here are the primary features of this new system:
• Two evaporators and two fans: The evaporators and fans of the freezer and the refrigerator operate independently to achieve the necessary temperature in each compartment. This minimizes unnecessary airflow from one compartment to another. It eliminates the need for a complicated air flow system which would lead to energy loss. • Turbo fans: Newly developed turbo-fan and multiple-scroll air distribution duct system minimizes the air path.
• Inverting compressor: Variable compressor PRM according to the condition of the refrigerator 4-step control is utilized.
• High-efficiency fan motors: Brushless DC variable motors are employed.
• High-efficiency insulation: The insulation material is cyclo-pentane. It helps minimize heat penetration, due to its low thermal conductivity.
• CFC-free: All these new refrigerators use R-134a and R-600a only, and are free of CFC and HCFC. Therefore, they are environmentally benign.
As seen in Figure 3.44a, the system has both freezer and refrigerator compartments which are controlled independently due to each compartment’s separate evaporator and precise control unit. These features also eliminate inefficient air circulation between the compartments. The result is considered a technological ingenuity, due to the following:
• high humidity preservation,
• ideal constant temperature storage,
• high energy savings,
• no mixed odors between compartments.